Top 5 Tips
1. The best way of identifying the correct pathway ahead is to explore the one you have already travelled. Sit down and write a short essay titled ‘My life to date’ and discover where your career strengths lie.
2. Remember that as a Leaving Certificate student you are not selecting an occupation for life; you are simply choosing the next appropriate step to take on your lifelong career journey.
3. Research all your educational/training and employment options on the websites available including Qualifax (www.qualifax.ie), Careers Portal (www.careersportal.ie), Eunicas (www.eunicas.ie) and UCAS (www.ucas.com). If you do this, your decisions will be soundly based.
4. Winning in any task is always a team effort. Your team includes your teachers, guidance counsellors, family and friends. Tap into their resources fully as this will hugely enhance your chances of success.
5. Any destination or career goal you set yourself can be achieved using a wide variety of approaches. Don’t discount Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) courses, Level 7/6 CAO courses or studying abroad when you are exploring ways to reach your target.
View Some Sample Pages
About the Author
Brian Mooney is a Guidance Counsellor in Oatlands College, Dublin, where he has taught for nearly 40 years. He was President of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors 2001–2006.
Brian is the education columnist/analyst with The Irish Times. As an education expert he also contributes to current affairs and news programmes across the national media, including RTÉ, TV3, News Talk and TodayFM. He is the author of a number of books in the field of Irish education including A Parent’s Guide to the Points System and 7 Steps to a Happier Family.